How You Can Reach Me

Facebook: Joseph Stuart
E-mail: jstubyu@gmail.com
Twitter: jstu87

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Moroni in Finding Our Own Testimonies

The purpose of this blog isn't so much to convert anyone, as it is a public forum for me to share my testimony and beliefs, in the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm not looking to prove anybody wrong, but just to share how I feel spiritually. The Lord has blessed me with some rich experiences, and I feel it would be ungrateful not to share what I have heard, seen, and most importantly, felt. I was not trying to prove anyone wrong last week. I was trying to share what I know to be true, through the promptings of the Spirit.

While some promptings of the Holy Ghost get lost in the day's activities, others leave an indelible impression on my life. One such experience was when I first prayed to know that the Book of Mormon was true.

When I was 17, I was challenged to read the Book of Mormon, and to pray about it. I had never done it before, at least in really searching out to know the truth for myself. I had been living off of social climate, and the experiences of others in my life. It's not like I only did things because I was expected to, I had just never received a firm answer for myself.

I read every page of that book, and prayed about it. Such peace and power filled my soul, that I could not deny that I KNEW. It has been perhaps the most important experience in my life so far. All things that I strive to do come from that experience. And yet, I know that this experience can be had by anybody with a real intent, a sincere heart, and real intent. For practical purposes, this is what I feel these mean:

A sincere heart: Really wanting to know. I think that this comes from reading the Scriptures faithfully, and trying to find meaning in them. Sincerity can be seen from trying to understand the Scriptures, and "feasting" upon them.

Real Intent: Go to Church. Follow the Commandments. Act as if you are willing to follow through on any answer to prayer that you receive. Why would you receive an answer if you're not looking to follow through with the information?

Faith In Christ: PRAY ABOUT IT. Having faith in Him, means faith in His purposes, and that praying to the Father in His name will bring a real answer.

Now, will it come instantly? Probably not. Will it come when we are ready for it? Absolutely. Some feel that they have never received an answer to prayer, and to them I would say, "did seeking an answer change your behavior? Did it bring you more in harmony with divine teaching? Did you come to love the Lord because of your experience?" That is certainly an answer. The Lord does not answer us with a heavy hand, or a shout. He answers us in promptings, and in changes in our behavior.

If you're not sure what to do, move forward with a steadfastness in Christ, and His teachings. Greater happiness than anything you can imagine comes from a life of faith and fullness, through and in Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog really is inspiring and honest. Thanks especially for this post - it was something I needed to read.

    ReplyDelete